Welcome to the 2009 NCLF Children's Area, which is dedicated to children 12 years of age and younger!
Give-aways and prizes
Click here to 'download a venue map' and view the Children's Main Stage and the Activity Area locations.
We encourage festival attendees to bring a gently used or new children's book to the Children's Activity Tent to donate to the
Book Fairy, an organization that donates children's books to the Pediatric Oncology Clinic at UNC Hospitals.
Children's Main Stage
Come see children's authors, illustrators and storytellers as they share their work and interact with the audience. Representing various topics, the Children's Main Stage schedule is as follows:
Saturday, September 12, 2009 Sunday, September 13, 2009
10:00 am Brian Pinkney 11:10 am Storytime - NBA Cares
11:10 am Judy Schachner (NBA/WNBA players TBA)
12:20 pm Clay Carmichael 12:20 pm Storytime - Ronald McDonald
1:30 pm Barbara Duncan & Kathi Littlejohn 1:30 pm Alan Gratz
2:40 pm R.L. Stine 2:40 pm John Claude Bemis
3:50 pm Carrie Ryan
After each Children's Main Stage presentation the speakers will be available to sign books at a nearby location.
Children's Activity Tent
Participate in interactive stations revolving around reading, writing, illustrating and creating!
- Make a fun and artistic bookmark
- Make an interesting and unique character mask with help from Kidzu
- Write an amazing story for one of the illustrations provided by Think It Ink It Publishing
- Draw a sensational picture for one of the short stories provided by Community Independent School
- Create a puppet from your favorite book with help from Kidzu
- Tell us about your favorite book (write or illustrate) with a chance to be published by Carolina Parent,
hosted by Carolina Parent magazine
- Post the name of your favorite book on the "My Favorite Book" board, hosted by Carolina Parent
- Donate a book to the Book Fairy, who will donate them to the Pediatric Oncology Clinic at
- Read books at the Reading Corner, hosted by Carolina Parent magazine
- Puppet Theatre by the Durham Public Library
- Storytelling by characters, such as Casey the Pirate
- Storytelling by professional athletes - Carolina Hurricanes, Carolina RailHawks and the Durham Bulls
- Musical performances
- Mini-theatrical performances from children's books performed by Tar Heel Tale Tellers
- Theatrical performances from the youngest members of Hats Off Theatre Company
Other Cool Stuff
Get your picture taken with character mascots who will be roaming the Children's Area
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Little Critter
- The Berenstain Bears Parents
- Ramses (UNC-Chapel Hill)
- Blue Devil (Duke)
- Mr. Wuf (NC State)
- Eddie the Eagle (NC Central)
- Wool E. Bull (Durham Bulls)
- Swoops (Carolina RailHawks)
- Stormy (Carolina Hurricanes)
- Chick-fil-A (Saturday only)
- McDonald's (Sunday only)
THERE'S ONLY 1 RULE IN THE CHILDREN'S AREA....HAVE TONS OF FUN!
* The full schedule of events and activities will be posted in August.
Give-aways and prizes